beefing

Basically whatever happens to irritate me. Probably quite trivial but then why not? After all, the First Admendment says I can (but then the new Supreme Court may change that...)

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Rage from the "Scotsman Online"

I like to read "The Scotsman Online" because it is both amusing and had a more direct style that what you find in US newspapers. There was an interesting and angry editorial about the recent murders in Spain, written by Mr. Stewart Kirkpatrick. I agree with Mr. Kirkpatrick.

All I could say after reading this was "Amen!"

When the Twin Towers were plane bombed, I was shocked and angry. When the Pentagon was plane bombed and the first victim named was a Navy Petty Officer (an Aerographers Mate 1st class), I was quite shocked. It took me a couple of minutes to convince myself that I had left the Navy before this young man had enlisted; I took a certain amount of comfort in the realization that he could not have been one of my sailors (in the 1980s a was a Navy officer and had a number of Aerographer's mates working for me).

Somehow, I was even more angry about the Spanish train bombings since this was yet another example of innocent people dying so that fanatics could "claim credit" and fight against the "Crusaders". (Didn't the last Crusade end a couple of centuries before United States of America existed? At the time of the last Crusade, probably all of my ancestors in England, Scotland and northern Europe were peasants and had no say over the wars the "Nobility" started!) This seemed yet another senseless example of the worldwide madness...