beefing

Basically whatever happens to irritate me. Probably quite trivial but then why not? After all, the First Admendment says I can (but then the new Supreme Court may change that...)

Friday, September 05, 2008

nocturnal leg cramps...

I made roast beef last night and it was quite good. Unfortunately, any fat with the beef stayed in the gravy. So, I didn't drink much with dinner and had a gin-n-tonic after dinner. I deliberately refused to drink much water for fear that my stomach would be too full.

One of the symptoms of diabetes I have is that too much liquids and a fatty dinner will result in barfing about an hour after going to bed. So, I abstain...

About an hour and a half after going to bed, I awoke with the beginnings of a leg cramp in my right leg. I sat up planning on walking to the main bathroom and peeing; by the time I stood up, my left leg was incredibly painful! I could barely get my flop-flips* on and stumbled to the bathroom. There, it was simply too painful to do anything so I walked out to the kitchen. Then, for no apparent reason, I sat down on a living room chair and the cramps subsided immediately.

I went back to bed a couple of minutes later. My wife mentioned that maybe I was dehydrated and did I drink any water? I said no. (I typically don't drink water at night because it usually gives me a stuffed up nose.)

A couple of hours later, my right leg cramped and I did the put on slippers, go to the main bathroom to pee and went back to bed.

I had worked on hard on Wednesday and nearly as hard yesterday and I thought I'd walked/run too much on the treadmill. Maybe I did? However, the wikipedia page on noctural leg cramps said in part: "The precise cause of these cramps is unclear. Potential contributing factors are believed to include dehydration".

I guess they are right.

* I despise the phrase "flip-flops" as it is cutesy and "Americdan"; the correct name for these shoes is "zorrie" as they were invented in Okinawa and not Oklahoma!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home