beefing

Basically whatever happens to irritate me. Probably quite trivial but then why not? After all, the First Admendment says I can (but then the new Supreme Court may change that...)

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Day 7 International Lions Convention Chicago 2007

Day 7 (Monday, 2 July 2007):

We went to the United Center where we had the opening moments. It was quite nice and the Parade of Flags was wonderful. We're looking forward to the next session because a Past District Governor, Lion Jimmy Carter, will be speaking! I hope PDG, Past US President, James E. Carter's address will be on the Convention DVD. It would have to be grate and especially great to play at meetings!

We then went to the McCormick Place where we registered at two different places, I tried to buy a pseudo-pork chop Lions hat (they were out) and we had lunch and then later, ice creamme. It was pleasant. Finally, we left the McCormick Place and took the bus back to the United Center.

The bus situation is a real mess. Some of the foreigners are extremely pushy. I thought the Italians are really pushy (and they are) but the Brazilians are very much worst. We were in line behind several Brazilians and one Brazilian male walked past us and joined his compatriots. It didn't seem like this prick even noticed that he had barged in line ahead of others. To the English types (American, Australians and New Zealanders), the Brazilians are the epitome of "rude".

The Brazilians surged onto the busses and pushed ahead of those who were ahead of them in line. One story was they had to partially empty a couple of busses because city regulations were "no standing". This same over packing has occurred on the elevators with the difference that overloaded elevators simply won't move. I found that amusing!

One day (several days ago), I waited more than a half hour before the number of folks waiting was a literal handful and I was able to get onto the elevator. The next time I went for an elevator, this very nice Lion from Minnesota suggested we go to the "cargo lifts". She found a maid who directed us to the service elevators and we went to the 10th floor where we needed to be.

Later that afternoon, she looked at the service lifts and they were swarmed by Lions who had discovered them by seeing me (and probably others in "chairs" or "scooters") come out of said "service lifts". It apparently didn't occur to these folks that being patient and polite and simply waiting your turn would get you in soon enuf.

The entertainment was very, very nice!

I don't recall the names of the two jugglers but these two young men was comedians who did outstanding juggling. They were very funny and cracked up the house. They were an excellent warm-up for the main act: Glen Campbell, his daughter and their 4 (or 5?) piece band!

His singing was extremely good and he was funny between the songs. One Lion said "Glen Campbell" and that he wasn't going to see him. This Lion has no idea what a wonderful show he missed!

I liked Glen Campbell music when I was in high school but I wasn't a fan. I haven't heard his music for years so listening to him sing was like discovering him for the first time. It was really well worth the time and I regret that he didn't play longer.

We left during the second encore song.

Kathie had strongly suggested that I "go to the head" before his show finished and I'm glad I did. I got done with that before his final set and about 1 ½ encore songs. We went to the parking lot where we loaded aboard the School Bus that was serving the "wheelies". I would later be very grateful that I'd taken the time to unload.

We left McCormick place about 8:20 pm; we got to the hotel at 10:24 pm. Yup, that 2 hours and 4 minutes! So, what added nearly two hours to that rather simple trip? The fucking fire works display!

Actually, it was probably incompetence on the part of Chicago's finest <s>stoges</s> police.

Legend has it that Chicago's 3rd of July fire works display is the best in the world. I don't know about that but I do know that there were huge crowds. Hugh swarms of people driving around and trying to get to good viewing spots. I noticed at least one boat on the Chicago river. It made perfect sense to me that folks would board boat at some nice place and motor down the river to Lake Michigan and motor out to a fine viewing place. This boat might have been charging at 15 to 20 mph and before you think this slow, consider that the boat was on a direct path to a "parking place" on the lake and that the boat's passengers

The city blocked off access to the hotels and would not let anyone in. After cruising around the city two or three times, a couple of folks on the "handicapped bus" harangued the poor bus driver and he asked a police officer to let us through. He said "I'm got a bus load of handicapped people". The officer said "the road is closed and I can't open it. Move along! Move along!"

Our driver got back on the bus and moved along. Further along, the driver started yelling at police officers who either ignored him or walked off. Finally, the driver got out and tried talking to a man in police uniform with double bars on his collars (the military equivalent would be an Army Captain). This "officer" pulled out his cell phone, appeared to be talking on it and ignored the driver. Our driver talked to a police officer who said "there was nothing he could do about it". It made sense this "private" (?) would not want to confront an angry command officer!

What if we could have gone over to this "Captain" and asking him to make a "Command Decision"? A Command Decision to let the bus load of handicapped folks through the barrier and to their hotels. These folks (including me) simply could not walk and probably could not make it from the barrier to our hotels. I realize this could be seen as as "special treatment" but then some folks need "special treatment".

When the police finally removed the barriers, our driver was finally able to get us to our hotels.

This morning, my wife called the bus company to arrange for the handicapped bus to haul us around tomorrow. She complained about the treatment last night and was told "the city said they had arranged for us to pass the lines and get to our hotels".

I guess City Hall didn't tell the Police or the Police didn't tell their street officers or the City simply didn't care about the handicapped at all. I know the old adage about "never ascribe to malice what could be ascribed to simple incompetence".

I'll be nice and say the City of Chicago Police simply screwed up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home