beefing

Basically whatever happens to irritate me. Probably quite trivial but then why not? After all, the First Admendment says I can (but then the new Supreme Court may change that...)

Saturday, May 09, 2020

May Day letter to congress critters about saving the USPS

May Day 2020

Dear Dr. Marsh  Senator Moran Senator Roberts

Once again, I am moved to write you in hope that you will prevent  a disaster.

The US Constitution ,Article 1, Section 8, Clause 7 reads in part: “To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

It is implied the Congress must maintain the Post offices.

The USPS is essential to the health of our economy. Given the impact of the corid-19, it would make sense to maintain our economy If the USPS is allowed to fail, then many business will also fail. Some examples:

  1. I have service connected disabilities and receive medications and needed diabetic test equipment from the VA. There are a number of veterans who main medical provider is the VA. It the USPS is degraded or destroyed then vulnerable veterans will be harmed.
  2. There are items I receive by mail order from Wichita as said items are not sold in Dodge City. Killing the USPS could put these business out of business. (I pay Sedgwick county sales taxes on items bought in Wichita.)
  3. I realize there is a belief that email can handle personal mail. I think a paper birthday card or sympathy card or Thank You card has a level of intimate emotional connection that email lacks. It takes time and effort and a bit of money to prepare and send a card. I have gotten “Thank you emails” which lead me to believe the originator spent more time in addressing the email than what was spent in drafting the text.
  4. Alternatives to the USPS are more expensive and often much more expensive. There are many who can not afford the additional costs!

Finally, I point out that while the US Constitution requires maintenance of Post Offices, there is no requirement to give tax money to very rich men and very rich corporations. If my income taxes can go to billionaires then my taxes can go to the USPS. The USPS at least gives me good service in return.


I respectfully submit that keeping the USPS financially healthy is going to be crucial to the restoration of our economy.  Funding stock buy backs is not important.

Finally, I remind you that you swore to “protect and defend” the Constitution of the United States. Protect and defend the USPS and you will be exercising this oath.

Respectfully,


Michael W. Bell

P.S. I expect you to protect the Social Security Fund from the spendthrifts in the Administration. The Social Security Fund is not a slush fund!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home